Sunday, January 16, 2005

Comes The Dawn

Comes The Dawn

After a while you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul.

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
and company doesn't mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up high
and your eyes ahead
with the grace of a woman
and not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down
in the middle of flight.

After a while you learn
that even sunshine burns if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden
and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure,
that you really are strong,
and you really do have worth.

And you learn and you learn
with every good-bye you learn.

1971; Veronica A. Shorffstall

I fell in love with this poem the minute I read it. At certain crossroads in my life, and more than ever, I feel like I can relate to the words in bold.


For a moment, when this particular scene appeared on screen, I thought of you, and what I bet you'd say if you were with me.
But that flash of longing soon faded to a dull throb in my heart, and I no longer wish you were here with me.
Because I'm not sure if I can be nice; and I'm not sure if I can bring a smile to your face the entire evening.
And I stopped checking my handphone for a message that I knew would not come.



"When You Say Nothing At All" is playing in the background. The lyrics that used to make so much sense seem alien now. I can't deny the thoughts racing through my mind. Endless possibles; infinite what-ifs. Self-denial just isn't acceptable anymore. I'm finally seeing what I've refused to accept - trying ten times harder won't bring us back to what we were, or bring back what we had.



No comments: