Saturday, February 07, 2015

Manifesting magic.

 
Last Saturday, I taught a workshop about manifesting our intentions, and tapping on our yoga and meditation practice to quiet down our mind, so we can listen to our heart's desires. Often, when I coax my thoughts to a quiet (or at least a soft murmur!), and bank down on its sometimes unjustifiable expectations – it feels like I am sliding off my blinkers to see the world for the first time, a world brimming with possibilities that were always there, only disregarded by my narrow mind.

The thing about goal-setting is that it is rather two-dimensional in its approach – set a target and go achieve it. The emphasis is often this: How can I get this, do this or achieve this, so I will feel better? I will feel powerful when I finally drive that sports car. I will feel worthy when I get that raise, that promotion. Our ability to feel good is pegged to a target achievement. At the same time, we are often so driven that we develop tunnel vision, and with our blinkers on we lose sight of so many possibilities going by us.

Manifesting, on the other hand, is a lot more fun, because instead of browbeating our way to the goal, we invite it to unfold with grace. The principle of manifesting is simple – light attracts light. The key here is to create our reality based on how we feel, instead of what we think. The hard work comes not in achieving a set target, but in making ourselves feel good, so we can be an energetic match for attracting the goodness we want into our lives. By softening our expectations (these come from the head!), we also give the universe space to intervene as and when it wishes to work its magic, maybe sprinkle a little fairy dust.

One one hand, there's hard work, making choices that nourish us inside out to build the positive vibes; but on the other hand there's also surrender – letting go, trusting that what will be, will be. We may just be over a month into 2015, but already I have witnessed so many serendipitous opportunities, with some seemingly coincidental moments that made even my very logical fiancé go: "Wait a minute... Is this really happening???"

A big part of me believes that magic is out there – in fact, it is everywhere, as long as we put in the effort to quieten our mind and open our heart to it. Then again, could it be that magic really isn't magic, simply unrecognised potential and opportunities that are, until witnessed, floating right under our noses?

No comments: