Thursday, December 21, 2006

The temple of well-being.

The temple of well-being.
music: five times august - perfectly

"Your body is a temple."

Each time I read that phrase in a health and fitness article, I am inspired, at least for the next hour or so, to treat my body right. Whole grains. Fresh fruits and veggies. No junk. Going to bed by ten. Waking up at six and going for a walk and breathing in the pre-7 a.m. pollution air. It sounds so incredibly healthy and wholesome doesn't it?

It's incredibly hard to keep to it though.

There may be people out there who are actually disciplined enough and capable of living such a life for the next 40 years, but most of us will probably blow a vessel trying to be this healthy. It's too stressful.

I have little trouble getting up an hour earlier for a workout. But how often can you say no to a late night supper, a late night out with your friends, a late night session on msn gossiping with your best friend, or a late night working on meeting a deadline? And realistically speaking, how often can you choose an orange over a piece of luscious dark chocolate cake?

We're human. We have our vices.

Mine's called chocolate.

I'm trying to listen to my body though, and it's incredibly enlightening. (I know, some of you are probably wondering where all this new-age mambo jumbo's coming from. I'm wondering too.) I'm into my second veggie day, and I feel good.

Maybe I'll go on a seven-day chocolate detox the next time around. That'll be interesting.

On an entirely different note, I've just found out that Brad Skistimas of Five Times August is only 23. That means he's been making music and going on tour since he was 18. Impressive.

Time to head out.

No comments: