Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Taking a Moment to Ponder

Taking a Moment to Ponder

Whilst on the short ride from Cityhall to Orchard in an extremely crowded train, I stood just within hearing range of a conversation between two females, discussing the pros and cons of journalism. The comment that actually made me start to eavesdrop intently was this.
Girl #1: Journalists are on the receiving end. That is why they usually don't do well.
Girl #2: Yah, all they are good at is writing. I actually wanted to be a journalist.

Through the span of their conversation, as I listened to them put journalism down, I wished I were a successful journalist who could spin around, blind them with a confident smile, and set them straight.
With my back to them, I had assumed that they were young working adults. Just as I was about to alight, I heard girl #2 say, "Just a few months before I turn 18."

Passion versus practicality. In a money-oriented society like ours, the career choice is painfully obvious, unless of course, you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

For now, I'll let my passion pave the way, at least for the next 6 months of my internship. Decisions regarding future financial responsibilities can wait. :)

On a lighter note, I'm looking forward to lunch at Kenny Rogers tomorrow. Believe it or not, the one and only time I had KR food was on my Malacca trip last year. Lol.

No comments: