Friday, April 15, 2005

A Tiny Taste of Fame

I'm basking in the afterglow of euphoria. I was swept up in a web of delirious ecstasy when I saw my name in print in Singapore Polytechnic's newly published book - Figments.
Figments is a collection of the winning entries for the creative writing competition, all centering on The Future as the theme.

Okay, so I did not win the top three prizes or anything, but hey, I'm pretty satisfied just being one of the four polytechnic consolation prize winners in the short stories section.
I doubt Figments will be sold in major bookstores, but this tiny taste of fame has proved to be very alluring indeed.

Was pleasantly surprised to see Camellia's poem published in the book too. Heh, we're indeed sisters.

Read some of the entries by the secondary school winners, and boy, some of them are really good. If I am seriously considering depending on my writing for a living in the future, I'd have a hell lot of tough competition.

Alright, enough of bragging, lol. My in-laws treated us to dinner at this Beijing eatery in Chinatown.
Culture shock! We had more than twenty plates of food on the table for ten. Just as we were stuffing ourselves silly, wondering how to prevent all the food from going to waste, my brother promptly explained that it is their culture to order more food than the guests can possibly consume. It is part of being a good host. Well, thank goodness, haha. I wasn't quite used to the food actually; the only dishes I liked were the dumplings and the sweet potato dessert.

Had supper with my bitch and Vincent over at Tanjong Pagar. (I just had teh tarik. The dinner earlier had me stuffed all the way up to my neck.)
Anyway, those two lucky asses are going down to London to catch the Arsenal-Liverpool match, paying just S$1000 each for a 2-way ticket on British Airways and 3 nights accomodation at a 4-star hotel. It's a long story, but woah. Lucky bitch. :)

Time to hit the sack. Not before indulging in my Archie comic though, haha.

No comments: