Friday, April 22, 2005

Our World - An Urban Jungle

Our World - An Urban Jungle


The winning photo from Yahoo's competition. Photo courtesy of yahoo.com

Happy Earth Day dear readers. :)
Earth Day Trivia: 100 million trees are felled each year to produce junk mail.
How's that for a wake-up call?

It's kinda scary, the way natural life is depleted to give way to the rise of modernization. Then again, it is pretty difficult to imagine us living the Tarzan and Jane lifestyles on an unspoiled Earth.

I don't think many of us would be able to rough it out living in a jungle, with the many species of wildlife around us. The possibility of us scaring ourselves to death with the various types of diseases we could contract from bites would probably be higher than that of us being eaten alive by a tiger. Now now, what should we blame or thank for the knowledge, but modernization?

I think one of the reasons our early ancestors were able to live the caveman lifestyle is because there was no information of such diseases available to scare them. They probably thought of the tarantula as their friend, whereas we now think of it as our foe.

I once read a book about Neanderthals - the people some scientists believe humans evolved from. One characteristic of Neanderthals is that they do not have well developed voiceboxes. Indian folklore believed that every living thing has a soul, and Neanderthals thus had no need for voiceboxes as they communicated through their souls with the other souls of nature.
It's quite mystical, the way the natural world works.

I've always liked nature - its beauty is tangible, yet intangible when you wish to possess it. I've always wanted to rough it out and be one with nature, but I'm not as gungho as I'd like to be. A moth is enough to send me screaming. 'Nough said.

Earth Day aside, I spent most of my day at the Outdoor Wedding Show at Fort Canning. Bk, Cat, Dawn and I were helping my brother out with his booth at the exhibition.

Now, when the scorching sunlight gave way to the cool dusk, the place came alive, just like a scene from a fairytale. Fairylights twinkled, and love songs filled the evening air. What better accessories to such a sight, but the many couples in love who were planning to take the next step to eternal commitment?

At certain parts of the evening, it seemed as if the evening air carried the scent of the sea, and we all felt as if we were at a beach resort. Wished I was in a sarong skirt though!
My description doesn't do the exhibition justice. Come on down to Fort Canning to see the beauty for yourself. Admission is free. :)

No comments: