Thursday, July 20, 2006

Coffee with Mister Moon.

Coffee with Mister Moon.

It is a known saying that people don't know how to cherish what they have until it is gone. I certainly do feel that way right now. Here I am reflecting in silence, the still of the night perfectly matching my melancholy.

A good friend from my poly days will be leaving for Perth this Saturday. For six long years. The last time we talked about her going away, she asked me, "Will you miss Jane?" At that time I laughed, swatted her arm and jokingly said, "Of course not!" and I really did believe I wouldn't.

Yet when I flipped through my photo album, pausing at the many wacky shots we've taken over the years to reminisce, I started to feel the ache creeping up on me. While we weren't exactly best of friends, we were as tight as school friends can be and we have shared a whole lot of good times together.

Thinking back, there have been times when I should have been more of a friend to her and if I had a chance to turn back time, I would have offered her more support when she needed it. Nonetheless, she is one of the strongest survivors I have ever known and it makes me all the more proud to have her as a friend.

I wouldn't be there to send her off for I will be, rather guiltily, on an island getaway with Cecilia. Probably a blessing in disguise. At least I wouldn't bawl and send us all into tears.

No comments: