Thursday, December 06, 2007

You don't need a reason to be happy.

You don't need a reason to be happy.

The rain showed no signs of ceasing through the afternoon, and just when I thought I'd make it to yoga in a semi-heavy drizzzle, the storm started again with painful intensity.

Perfect weather for curling up on the couch with a novel and a hot drink. Not so much for stepping out and braving the elements, especially when my limbs were still aching from yesterday's session. But I really wanted a final session with the Wednesday gang before India.

"15 minutes," I told myself. I gave myself that to hail a cab before I headed back to the warm and dry comforts of home. Despite the crowd of girls I saw huddled at the shelter and the downpour which usually warranted zero cabs, one was waiting right at the shelter for a passenger. How was I to say no?

However, I was a teeny bit disappointed, for the downpour had deterred the rest. With just me and another Caucasian lady who seemed to take her practice rather seriously, the class was less giggles and more orderly. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but after the gruelling session yesterday morning, I was actually looking forward to one of laughs and camaraderie.

Sunil and I had a chat after the meditation, during which I finally got the corect answer to his question - "Which part of you is breathing?" And no, it's neither the lungs, nor the nose. Our other discussions on God, karma and enlightement cleared the grey areas, supported my beliefs, and enriched them as well.

And in true Sunil fashion, he told me a story of a guru who never displayed extreme happiness nor sadness.

"Is that not sad, not being able to feel great happiness? Doesn't extreme happiness come only when you can feel extreme sadness?" I asked.

"No," he shook his head.
"Humans are happiest when we're asleep. When we wake, chances are we are 99% happy, and the 1% of unhappiness is usually because we don't wish to wake," he said.

I pondered. "Why?"

That is because our minds rest when we sleep and humans are happiest when we are doing nothing, he explained.

"You don't need a reason to be happy, but to be sad, you'll need a reason."

Now that stuck with me through the chilly night.

No comments: