Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Keep me on cloud nine.

Keep me on cloud nine.
music: keri noble - talk to me

Settling into my hostel was way easier than I'd expected. No more frantic packing or lugging of huge bagfuls of knick knacks - I am fully moved in. It's really interesting how a person can be defined by the room he/she lives in. Heard from Daena that one of her friends has got a Winnie the Pooh shrine. Hmm. Haha. I don't know about a beach shrine for myself, but I've done all I could to give my room a laidback vibe without overcrowding it with accessories. My string of flower lights must been my best buy from Bangkok. To think I'd actually almost left Suan Lom night market without it!

My first day was a blast! The funniest thing we all did was probably running across buildings and up stairwells searching for the elusive LT11. I was breaking into giggles half the time, haha. Checked out the school pool together with Charlene and Erwin after lectures. I think I've found my new hangout! Uncrowded + clean water + no lecherous lifeguards = my dream come true.

After an unsuccessful attempt at napping in the late evening, Charmaine, Chrystal, Erwin, Venetia and I hit the Nanyang Auditorium for the Hall Bash. With drinks and djs from Dbl O, the event was surprisingly happening. And I surprised myself by dancing despite my prior protests. Must have been the drinks I downed with Chrys and ZL before we rejoined the dance floor. I have permanently sealed my cannot-dance status but it was fun, liberating even, letting myself go.

We left the party only to come face to face with overcast skies. Armed with nothing but a resigned sense of humour, we set out to battle the pelting rain and fight our way back to the comfort of warm rooms and cosy sheets. It's been a couple of months since I'd last walked in the rain and while I wouldn't count thick jeans and clingy tops as ideal outfits for rain walks, I enjoyed the experience.

I didn't get to bed till four in the morning and while I was looking forward to sleeping in, the national day celebrations from the primary school across the road woke me up at 730, very much to my chagrin. And so I lay in bed drifting in and out of sleep but mostly listening to the off-key renditions of patriotic songs. Urghs. I gave up and started to write a poem in my notepad, only to have the music stop. How great.

Fagan came by in the afternoon for lunch as well as to check out my room. Thanks for making the trip down dude. I know it was painful! Heh. He was absolutely enraptured by the picture of him flipping upside down beside the Burj Al Arab.

I'd initially planned to head home after lecture but dinner plans at Mos Burger (what's it with us and that place?) with Daniel and ZL materialised. ZL and I later accompanied Shannon for his dinner at the foodcourt and the three of us ended up chatting for a good three hours about topics as random as closet gays and first impressions. I'm exhausted now, but it was good time spent. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation and the insight to the boys' minds.

My body's demanding sleep and the vainpot in me wants to eradicate those eyebags. Night world.

No comments: