Saturday, March 26, 2005

Finding Neverland

Finding Neverland

I hereby declare myself a proud ambassador of Pay It Forward.
I directed this group of Indian tourists to Sentosa via bus no. 65, and I smiled at the old lady selling tissue near my estate. It's kinda surprising rude and unhelpful bus drivers still exist.
Okay, so it isn't much, but hey, it's a personal achievement. So much for a hospitality student, haha.

I guess many of us aren't ready to step out of our comfort zones and go the extra mile for someone else. I'm not pinpointing - I'm very much guilty of that too. Fear of rejection maybe? Or maybe it's just the inertia. Then again, perhaps it's just me.
I can be such an introvert in my own world sometimes. I actually held a silent debate once, having to convince myself that it is okay to smile at my estate's cleaner. My fear? That she didn't recognise me.
I can be such a freak. Thank heavens this weird side only emerges once in awhile. Lol.

Had a girly but pretty heartfelt talk with Cat and Sandra after our gymming session (I head Lifehouse's You and Me at the gym!), amidst a "picnic lunch" of toasted sandwiches and potato chips. I can't believe most of the canteens in school were closed today. It was one of the less superficial conversations I've had in quite some time.

Our topic of conversation made me ponder as I walked the pathway home. What does it mean when people ask you to be true to yourself, and to not be pretentious? There can be so many sides to a person - does it necessarily mean that he's faking all except for one?

I thought about my behaviour around different groups of people.

Quiet and happy to be alone at the gym with whoever is with me. (Yes, I dislike making conversation while working out.)
Giggly, nonsensical and stupid around people like Justin, Shaun, Kerrie and Brian.
Sarcastic around people like Joseph and Jeremy.
Childish, and somewhat temperemental around Jason and my auntie.
Quiet, smiley and self-conscious around people I don't feel comfortable with.
At the same time, I can be insightful and serious with any of those mentioned above.

And I have concluded that I am actually myself most of the time, and that there can be many true sides to a person. It's all situational you know? OB. Lol.

Alright. Enough of the introspection.

Saturday evenings at home never fail to fill me with a feeling of serenity, something pretty elusive if you ask me. The whole after-rain smell sorts of adds to the mood. I like. And my family and I will be meeting my uncle and his family for dinner later, at the new but excellent zhi char stall just outside my place. They just got back from Australia, and I get to see my dear Glenda. Miss that cousin of mine to bits. :)

No comments: