Thursday, February 01, 2007

Knackered from the high.

Knackered from the high.
feeling: sleepy
music: tori amos - a sorta fairytale

I remembered my ice cold fingers, the apprehension at accelerating, the rush of adrenaline at 3 a.m. and the incessant pounding of my heart. It was this memory of almost (I may have, but I can't quite remember) driving Erwin's car onto the curb that accompanied me to my first driving lesson today.

I'd expected klutziness, fumbling, and panic-induced screaming that would drive my instructor into seizures; or at least something akin to fear. What I never quite expected was the calming sense of control that took over me as I navigated the car. When we took a pause after driving three rounds around the area, I found that I was, surprisingly, raring to go again. And my instructor informed me that I was actually driving at 50km/hr! Nothing at all like my dreadful virgin drive!

This first session left me on one heck of a high, and I had a tiny smile plastered on my face for a good fifteen minutes after it ended. Me, on wheels. Never thought I'd love it the way I did!

My handphone rang as I was making my way home from the pool, and balancing my Crumpler, lunch for my aunt, and a bag of groceries, I answered to hear Eric from SPH on the line.

E: Is this Ms. Khoo?
M: Yes, who's this?
E: Hi, this is Eric from SPH. I'm calling regarding the writing test you sat for last week. Congratulations, you have been selected for our internship program. When will you be available to come down for the interview?
M: Is next Thursday okay?
E: Mmm. Can you come down on 29th February?
M: What day is it?
E: Thursday.
M: Okay, what time?
E: 1pm.
M: Sure, so who should I look for when I get there?
E: Jocelyn.
M: Is it Jocelyn or Joyce Lim?
E: Ms. Jocelyn Lim.
M: Okay, which floor do I go to?
E: 5th floor, turn right from the elevator. (Coincidentally, it IS the HR office.)
M: Right. Do I have to bring anything?
E: Yes, please bring your portfolio. I understand that you did an internship at another magazine as well so can you please bring it along to show us your works?
M: Sure. Anything else?
E: Yes, please bring your camera?
M: Camera? (I was wondering how the guy knew I had a camera, then I remembered that I'd listed photography as one of my interests in the application form.)
E: Yes. We are having launching a new program and we will be sending our editors to spas overseas, so we will need to judge your photos to see if you are suitable to be attached to the photojournalism department.
M: Oh, but I applied for an internship with Shape.
E: Yes, this is a new feature under Shape.
M: So do I get to write?
E: Yes, you get to write AND take pictures. (I was silently whooping, and half-amazed at how similar it was to CS's travel writing practicum.)
M: Okay, see you then!
E: Eh, do you happen to have a calendar with you?
M: No, I'm outside. What is the matter?
E: Then it's okay.
M: Okay, so I'll see you then.
E: Eh, one last thing. Can you please bring your Mashimaro pajamas?
M: HUH?!?!?!


Eric turned out to be Jason playing one of his practical jokes. To think I was flustered and silly enough to not realise that 2007's not a leap year! 29th February?! Arghs. Haha. I was doubled over with laughter at my void deck.

Alright, the high's worn over though, and I'm ready to succumb to my sun warmed sheets.

No comments: