Friday, February 02, 2007

Red walls and a stripy dress.

Red walls and a stripy dress.
feeling: lazy
music: norah jones - my dear country

Hoping to get an early start on my article, I went by Cozy Canopy after class, only to find that it had closed down. I already had my suspicions when my email and repeated phonecalls went unanswered, but I was still a little gutted that the place that had inspired Square Room was now a soulless vacancy.

It was a gorgeous afternoon and seeing how I had some spare time on my hands, I took myself on a quick jaunt around Cityhall. Popped by Gramaphone and emerged, after an obscene amount of time, with Norah Jone's latest album (finally!) and the Sideways vcd. I thought it'd be interesting to see Sandra Oh play another character, instead of Dr. Cristina Yang on Grey's.

Any less self-control and I would have emptied my wallet by getting the following:
  1. The Peter Malick Group's New York City album featuring Norah Jones
  2. Tori Amos' Scarlet Walk album
  3. A Lot Like Love
  4. Blue Hawaii (the one with Elvis Presley)
Someone behind said hello to me as I was walking towards a bakery. It was an oldish Australian tourist who thought I was a fellow traveller, and though I was a little rattled by his sudden approach, I chatted with him for abit until I reached the entrace of the bakery.
Me: "I'm going inside."
Him: "Oh is it?"
Me: "Yep. Bye."

Thinking back, I may have been a little too abrupt. I never did ask for his name, and I can't remember if I said "have a nice day"! Thank goodness I smiled. He didn't seem like a crook, and it was bright daylight along the main road. The poor man was probably lonely and looking for company, of the non-sleazy sort. It wouldn't have cost me anything, except a bit more time, to pause and ask him about his day and to recommend some sights would it? I'd be rather disappointed if I were a tourist and one of the locals I chatted up left as abruptly as I did. I could definitely do with being less guarded in the future. Ecks, I feel bad.

No comments: