Sunday, October 02, 2005

Are you happy now?

Are you happy now?


My heart stopped in my chest when I saw Jasmine's message. "Oh no. Darling bombing." I was at a dinner party with my colleagues over at my boss', and our post-dinner plan to chill out with champagne and chocolates on the couch gave way to watching BBC in shock.


Bali has had a place in my heart ever since my maiden trip in June 2002, several months before the first blasts. There was something about the sincerity of its people and the rustic charm of the island that drew me in, and I wept when the blasts shocked the world. I didn't understand why anyone would want to hurt the serenity of the paradise island.


I didn't shed a tear this time around. I am angry, and I am extremely indignant. What is the motive spurring the bombers to destroy the island again and again? What have they got to gain by once again hurting the island they had wrecked three years ago? Do they really have to go to such extent to make a point? And what exactly is their point? Have they made it their mission in life to cause mayhem and bring sorrow to mankind by robbing the lives of loved ones? They have no right.


I sure hope they are suicide bombers, for they do not deserve a place amongst the living.

No comments: