Friday, October 28, 2005

Hard habit to break

Hard habit to break

After spending 5 months wishing for the end of my internship, my last day at Sentosa has finally arrived. Yet, instead of the sheer ecstasy that I had expected to hit me, a sense of a loss and a heavy heart overwhelms.

As I slowly discovered the nooks and crannies of Sentosa and her hidden gems, the unfamiliar maze of an island grew to be like a second home, and unfamiliar faces grew to become faces I looked forward to seeing everyday.

Running for the bus every morning and seeing the ever-friendly bus drivers, making a mad rush into my department and exchanging hurried greetings and earfuls of gossip, and even my messy work station have all become so much of a routine. I can barely imagine what life would be like without having to pry myself out of bed at 7 each morning. Sentosa has become a hard habit to break.

Now, apart from my coffee mug and a few stray paperclips, my once messy table is empty. The end has come, though now much too soon for me. It is with a heavy heart that I have to leave the island and the many people I've learned to love behind.

I was offered a full-time job upon my graduation from TP, and though it means alot to be offered that opportunity, I doubt I'll be taking it up. I might change my mind to pursue writing in a couple of years, but my journalism dreams are staying, for now.

No comments: