Saturday, July 19, 2008

Girlfriends, boyfriends, and aching arms.

Girlfriends, boyfriends, and aching arms.

As per the usual routine when I return from a long trip, most of my days were spent meeting up with friends and catching up on the latest gossip.


On Tuesday night, Erwin and I caught up over Cedele sandwiches and Starbucks. I had as much fun listening to the nonsense he's been up to while I was away, as well as re-enacting some of the stupid things I got up to in Europe.


The next day, I had my locks snipped off. Having had long hair for the past 5 years, I'm torn between missing my old long locks and loving the new length.


That night, Ziliang and I met up for good old hawker fare at Golden Mile Food Centre, where I happily slurped up the extremely local tasting beef horfun while listening to his hilarious travel tales. (Who would hitchhike out of the wilderness and get treated to buffet?!)
We strolled down to Liang Seah for some very uninspiring dessert, before deciding to pop by Suntec to take a peek at the freshies Shixiong were with. The three of us ended up whiling the night away at Starbucks, where SX updated us with the CS drama we missed last semester.



I had the hardest time peeling myself away from my bed to make my 11am appointment with the NTU administration the next morning. I made it (though my timetable is still semi-screwed), and Jinli and I hit the squash courts after that for 2 whole hours. I was a little nervous of getting whacked initially, but it's an awesome game, and the babe assured me that I was doing fine for a newbie. Yay, new sport!


And just this afternoon, my dearest horse Jane and I caught up over Green Tea McFlurries. For three whole hours we sat at McCafe, yakking away and doing a private airing of our dirty laundry. We can not meet up for months at a stretch, what with her studying in Perth and my constant travelling, but even though we're into the sixth year of our friendship, we're still the ridiculously giggly duo of our poly days each time we get together.


Ceci and Kenneth joined us for dinner, and Fagan came by after for some post-dinner chillout, and to offer me a ride home. Though we were all pretty much pooped by the end of the night, I was glad that we finally got to be at the same place at the same time before one of us flies off again.


And just in case you're less in the know than I am, there's a whole new craze going on. It's called Doing the Karen Cheng, where people pose in mirrors and take a picture, ala popular blogger Karen Cheng. As you can see, I've hopped on the bandwagon myself. All you need is to take a snap of yourself in a reflective surface, posing with her signature head tilt. Click here to check out her blog, or here to check out the DTKC Facebook Group. It's a little corny, but oodles of girly fun.

I had B on MSN when I came home, and it felt good to chat freely for an hour instead of consolidating a whole day's worth of thoughts and happenings into an email like we do everyday. I don't think either of us has fully readjusted back to the long-distance thing after seeing each other everyday during our time together in France, and speaking in real-time almost felt like we were back in the apartment again, though we were half a world away. Slightly over six weeks till he arrives!


Also, B and I are embarking on our weight-loss plan! We both felt like we've put on some flab since Goa, and all the cooking and eating we did while I was in Paris didn't help. We've set up an online food diary to record our food intake, and to motivate each other to eat healthier. I know it sounds funny, but I'm enjoying the idea, haha. And we'd try to run together when he's in Singapore, as I would need all the discipline and motivation I can get if I wish to run 10km without collapsing.

I haven't mentioned this, but Lanxi and I have decided to take part in the 10km Great Easter Women Only Run on 26 October. We've done the 5km Shape run together last year, and thought that it was time for another challenge. Evan, a triathelete friend of mine, has kindly offered to draw up a simple training plan for us. I don't know how disciplined Lanxi and I are going to be, but we've decided to hit the beach this Sunday for our first run together this year.

Talk about getting in shape!

Now to get some sleep. Ceci's taking me to the National Day rehearsal parade tomorrow. I'm going to be a primary school kid all over again!

No comments: