Friday, July 11, 2008

Counting my blessings.

Counting my blessings.

I have only hours to go before I leave Paris, and I'm feeling very reluctant to break this spell of temporary bliss.

Despite all my gripes of how the Parisians are snooty and walk too damn fast for me to catch up in my flip flops and short Asian legs, there are really several elements which I have grown to love about this city, and the country in general.






I like the cool days, and how the sunshine is always a welcome warmth from the sometimes cold breeze.
I like staying in on rainy days, comfortably cocooned from the temperamental gusts of winds.
I like breaking off a chunk from a baguette, knowing that the crusty loaf was freshly baked barely an hour ago.
I like stepping out of the apartment into streets and alleys lined with cafes, boulangeries, quaint pâtisseries and kebab shops.
I like how we go grocery shopping every evening, instead of overloading the fridge with a week's worth of produce.
I like the convenient metro, the way I have to push the button to open the doors, and how it is an intersection of people from all walks of life.
I like how I could decide on a whim to skip the metro and walk my way to almost any place in the city.
I like knowing that I could easily meet Marine for a picnic lunch in the garden, or Romain and her for drinks in the night.
I like the "bonjour mademoiselle"s from cheeky men when I walk down the streets, almost as much as I like smiling at and then ignoring them.
I like eating lunch in the garden, along with many others who enjoy sitting in the sunshine as I do.
I like roaming around the city's many markets, visually enjoying the display of pastries, cheeses, fresh produce and fresh meats.
And most of all, I like this carefree life I've been leading with B, enjoying the simple pleasure of each other's company.






I like waking up to his annoyingly melodious handphone alarm each morning, and kissing him goodbye when he leaves for work.
I like running errands together when he comes home, and roaming the city aimlessly on the weekends.
I like coming in through the door of the flat, and seeing our coats hung up near the door.
I like being held close when we snuggle up on the couch, his pulse thudding against my cheek and his stubble grazing my eyelids.
I like sleeping in on the weekends, and the lazy but delicious brunches we toss together when we finally wake.
I like watching him cook, his brows furrowing in concentration as he chops and sautés.
I like it when we make a fool of ourselves on the streets, and laughing at our silliness.
I like laying side by side in the dark with him and talking, just talking.
I like just being with him, even if we're doing nothing at all.

But of course, reality beckons, and I'm honestly rather looking forward to returning home as well. Apart from a wonderful family who gives me the freedom and support on my constant jaunts around the world, I am also blessed with a group of really, really wonderful friends so close to my heart, they're like family.

These are the people who send me constant updates when I'm away from home, who call home on my behalf to tell my family I'm alright, who are unfortunately stuck with the awful job of placating my folks that I'll be okay halfway around the world, who make the effort to send me off whenever I leave for my adventures, and whom I can't wait to see again.







I'm off for one last picnic lunch date with Marine, and to pick up the macaroons for Ern, before coming back to do some last-minute packing and have an early-dinner with B.

It's been one awesome summer break. No regrets. Cheers.

No comments: