Saturday, November 24, 2007

The prawn diaries.

The prawn diaries.



HM came by to pass me some unmentionables, so I stuck to my end of my bargain and made lunch. Nothing fancy pancy, just garlic prawns and bok choy stir-fry. The recipe called for it to be served on a bed of herbed rice but alas, I don't have a garden overflowing with mint leaves and parsley. So I used rice stick noodles instead.

The pretty average taste's nothing worth mentioning really, but I must talk about my harrowing experience with shelling the prawns.

I took the bag of prawns out from the fridge, untied the knot, and stared dumbfounded into a mass of feelers and slimy grey shells. I don't know why, but I couldn't quite bring myself to put my hands on them.

So I dumped the prawns onto the chopping board, and hacked off the heads without actually touching them. Quite a feat I must say, but avoidance only got me this far. There was no way I could shell the prawns with only a knife without risking any self-amputations.

So I took a deep breath, and rather daintily picked up a prawn in my left hand, only to instinctively fling it away once my right fingers made contact.

In all honesty, this isn't my virgin experience shelling prawns, so I couldn't quite drum up an explanation for the sudden squeamish behavior. And I was honestly rather dumbfounded by me! So I sucked it up, took a deep breath (of fishy prawns) and literally talked myself through the process of shelling those 10 prawns. A series of "what is wrong with you?", "come on" and "don't be silly" later and I was finally done. Phew.

No prawns for awhile now.

No comments: