Thursday, May 31, 2007

From Saigon.

From Saigon.

It's my first night in Saigon, now known as Ho Chi Minh City. Dinner at an upmarket cafe serving up street fare has cost our table of 18 people 1.75 million Vietnamese dong. Million. Hah.

Most of our time's been spent downtown, but I must say the buildings I've seen so far are pretty darn gorgeous. What I read about French colonial flair sure is true. It's like a prettier and less chaotic Bangkok.

We're staying in a small but rather comfortable hotel right smack downtown, in what our tour guide Van calls "Vietnam's Orchard Road". Vietnam's Palais Renaissance is just two streets away. A huge building housing all the branded boutiques, complete with fairy lights.

I was, and still am actually, apprehensive about travelling in a big group with the extended family. Turns out it ain't that bad, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

No comments: