Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tug of war.

Tug of war.

This update is way overdue, I know. I was so exhausted after work the whole of last week that it took superhuman strength to drag myself to the shower before collapsing on the couch. When I finally sat down to the computer on Saturday, I realised that my internet connection was cut off - dad forgot to pay the bills, haha! Anyways, all's fine and dandy right now, internet-wise that is.

Braving the drizzle, Ceci, Ken, CH and I finally checked out the coffee place around the corner on Saturday evening. The owner was an Austrian man who managed to amuse and intimidate me at the same time.

Me: Two chocolate cakes please.
Him: We don't have chocolate cake, only sachertorte.
Me: Sucker what?
Him: Sachertorte. Now you won't be able to order it till you can pronounce.
Ken: Sucker-torte.
Him: Very good!

Headed back to my place after coffee and proceeded to have an extremely hilarious conversation where the four of us spoke in our dialects. ROFL.

Alright, back to reality. Work kinda sucks. (Now now, don't go shaking your head in disbelief.) Then again, I am probably not getting the exposure I want at this particular magazine. Writing is minimal and A LOT (I swear it's a freaking lot) of my time is spent SHOPPING around town loaning and returning clothes for product shoots. It was refreshing at first and I admit I kinda relished strutting around town with bags from Prada, D&G, Dior, Gucci... (people around wouldn't know I LOANED the stuff right?) but the hype's died down and I am now running errands (that involve carrying a shitload of heavy bags) most of the time. I signed up to work for FREE to hone my writing, not secretarial skills.

Lugging bags (15, 20...) all around town is so not my idea of an internship. What am I learning seriously? I am so thankful to have Kenrick and Jem, two great friends who think nothing of helping me with the bags, and of course Jason who many a time cabbed down to town just to help lighten my load. Sucky job? Yes. Blessed? Definitely.

It worries me to know that the career goal I've been working towards the past couple of years ain't quite what I want anymore. I'm scared you know? It's like walking a thousand miles barefoot on hot coals to get to the piece of chocolate cake you've wanted so much, just to realize that it isn't as delicious as you'd thought it to be. Worse still, it's kinda tasteless and dry.

No comments: