Saturday, September 01, 2007

The secret photography club.

The secret photography club.
music: colbie caillat - bubbly

I finally bought my DSLR today.

I've been talking about getting one for several months now, and I've been tired fending off the inevitable question - "Why do you want to get a DSLR?"

I tend to get a little prickly when faced with the question, possibly because I don't have an answer. "Why shouldn't I?" seems the perfect defensive answer, but that has garnered me quite a few scoffs from people who think I'm better off getting a consumer camera with my flippant attitude.

It makes me feel like a little girl asking for a Chanel makeup set. Or maybe a beginner piano apprentice buying a grand piano.

"Because I want to. Because even though I'm an amateur, I want to learn to use it. For purely indulgent reasons, to make myself happy." That was my reply to j.z. when he asked, during one of my more honest moments.

So I'm no professional. And even though I don't think I have the eye to ever become one, it doesn't mean I should remain stagnant where I am.

The significant drop in prices due to the Comex fair finally got me to get myself ass-deep in debt with my dad. And finally, after months of mere talk, I finally got Darren to bring me to the shops.

John 3:16. A tiny shop tucked away in Funan the IT Mall, yet frequented by the most diverse of photography enthusiasts. We spent a good three hours in the shop, listening to the argument of a Canon vs. a Nikon; being told hilarious anecdotes of past customers; having fellow customers advise me on my choice and sharing their experience; and finally even having my chance to regurgitate the Canon vs. Nikon speech to a new customer. I shook hands, made nameless friends, and had a ball of a time buying my camera. Passion bonds, definitely. Whoever thinks of Singaporeans as unfriendly strangers should definitely visit this camera shop.

And by the way, we all ended up getting the Nikon D40x. Haha!



So thank you Mr. Moo for bringing me around and the patience, and the others who didn't make me feel like the little girl with Chanel makeup set. And Feebs, for the constant Comex updates, haha.

No comments: