Sunday, February 22, 2009

Riverside weekend.

Riverside weekend.

I'm inspired to head off on a two-hour walk every Saturday morning, just because it is such a beautiful start to the weekend. We moseyed our way down to the river, and our route took us past an empty Shenton Way. The business district has a sleepy charm about it when devoid of office crowds, and I spotted some really interesting cafes which made me wish (just for a moment) that I worked in the thick of the action.


It was almost noon by the time we made it down to the river. The bars and eateries along Boat Quay are less off-putting when the service personnel are too occupied with setting up the tables and chairs to aggressively sell you their menus. It was nice to stroll and observe instead of hurrying through the stretch with my head down mumbling "no thanks".

Our walk took us around Robertson Quay, and I was surprised to see how crowded Epicurious was in comparison to its empty riverside neighbors. I'd read about the place being a popular brunch spot, but I never imagined it to be that in vogue. Worth checking out, me thinks. It's high time I ventured out of my Cedele habit.

Robertson Quay's laidback bars and cafes reminded me of a sunset walk I took with a friend many many years ago. The evening sunshine cast a rosy glow over the area, and we walked past several families barbequeing on the lawn of the riverside condominiums. A bumboat coasted by lazily, and the smell of petrol filled the air. "I wanna live here when I grow up," I remember telling him. The place lost its charm to me over the years, but yesterday's walk recaptured it. I've since grown up, and I think I would still like to live in one of the apartments facing the river.


pics from www.cakeglace.com

We decided to brave the Chinatown crowds to Pâtisserie Glacé at Craig Road. I've heard so much about the cakes that a visit was essential. The much raved-about Mont Blanc (middle) was disappointing, but the melt-in-the-mouth strawberry shortcake (if you seriously need me to point out which one this is...) more than made up for it. The first picture is La France, a pear tart with a crème brûlée custard which was tasty but not orgasmic. Perhaps Friday's pandan-kaya roll from Rich and Good Cake Shop set the week's benchmark a tad too high. That was orgasmic.

So we trekked back home with the cake boxes swinging in our hands, content despite our weary limbs. Right before the rain fell.




Sunday is usually my off-day and my time to take myself wherever I fancy after teaching piano, but as I already had my share of do-as-I-please time on Saturday (which apart from the walk included some much-needed vegging out and baking a swiss roll that fell apart), I made an exception to catch up with two of my favourite gossip queens over tea at Clarke Quay. (I know, I can't get enough of the river!)

Our ceaseless range of topics from mineral makeup to surprises and little blue boxes had us lingering over half-eaten sandwiches and waffles at Nectarine for a good three hours before heading off to Alegro for another three hours of churros and increasingly explicit topics.

All in all, an awesome weekend. :)

No comments: