Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Red velvet cake day.

Red velvet cake day.

I'm sure most of us have a particular item we always want to but never get around to ordering, because we're not sure it would be as good as our tried-and-tested favourite. I've always wanted to try a slice of red velvet cake, but the deep red sponge cake always seems a tad too bright, and I always end up convincing myself that a classic cheesecake or chocolate cake would save me from unwanted disappointment.

While grabbing a bite and a cuppa before What the Butler Saw this evening, I finally gave the Red Velvet Cake a shot.


picture from http://allrecipes.com/Cook/Photo.aspx?PhotoID=9198

Food for Thought felt like a warm cocoon from the bustling traffic outside, and like the tiny cafe, the cake was not outstanding but wholesomely tasty. The sponge cake was firm but not dry, and paired perfectly with the slightly tangy cream cheese frosting. I forked in mouthfuls between sips of iced tea latte, and that made for a light and decent (albeit unhealthy) dinner. This would definitely not be my last slice of Red Velvet Cake, that's for sure.

What the Butler Saw was a hoot! I'm not raving because I got media invites, but because it really had us splitting our sides with laughter. Ceci even exclaimed, in between gasps of air: "I want to die (from laughter)!" Shane Mardjuki (the hottie from Spellcast) was a bonus, but my favourite had to be Timothy Nga's Sergeant Ma. His horrid grammar and shocking vocabulary made a stellar performance. I think I enjoyed this more than Avenue Q. Really.

No comments: