Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cosmic relationship.

Cosmic relationship.

There we were on our mats, a cozy group of four, focusing on holding our postures in our asanas. The windows of the shophouse were shut, but could not entirely keep out the muffled strains of the horning traffic below. The late evening skies deepened to twilight, and once again, I felt my brains pressing against the top of my skull as I attempted a headstand.

Today was my first yoga lesson with a guru since my return from India. I have tried to keep up with my practice with Rodney Yee's videos, but a session on my yoga mat in front of the telly does not make me as conscious of my posture as a lesson with a proper teacher. Minor adjustments made the poses that much deeper, and difficult, to hold. It was an enlightening and even enjoyable session, but several times throughout the class, I found myself wishing that I was back at Whatever with the Wednesday class instead.

The wooden floors. The bronze Buddha in the middle of the room. The chanting soundtrack. Sunil's signature "Relax...." during our meditation sessions.

It's been over a year since I stopped the classes at Whatever, and Sunil left before I had a chance to continue my practice after returning from India.



I think the relationship between a student and her guru is a very personal thing, and I doubt it would be easy finding another guru whose demeanour and style of yoga puts me at ease like Sunil's does. Honestly, I'm not very motivated to try.

No comments: