Friday, August 17, 2007

Was it meditation or hypnosis?

Was it meditation or hypnosis?
feeling: refreshed
music: john mayer - dreaming with a broken heart

Thanks to Erwin, I finally have the full John Mayer's Continuum album playing on my iTunes.

My ability to fall straight asleep has eluded me these couple of weeks. There was my very annoying yo-yo decision making mechanism when it came to adding and dropping subjects, the tedious process of drafting GIP and INSTEP applications, and the endless surfing of university websites. I think I've become a bit of a control freak when it comes to the use of my free time, and this kinda explains my need to know my schedule in advance, and my absolute inflexibilty to last-minute changes. That ain't too good I know, but I don't quite know what to do about it.

I was really looking forward to a good stretch after the past tedious days and that very day's disappointing driving lesson, but Wednesday's yoga session left me feeling more frazzled than calm. The instructor was 20 minutes late, then proceeded to lead us in an hour of hurried poses that had the class bursting into peals of frustrated laughter. We're no gymnasts, and that was no hatha yoga. His heart wasn't in it, and that ruined the session from the start.

What was weird was the meditation session after yoga. After a couple of deep breaths in lotus pose, we were asked to expel our breaths forcefully for 30 times. I googled it, and I think it's called Kapalabhati. 3 rounds of that left me a little lightheaded, and we were then asked to lie on our mats and relax. The instructor/guru then started bringing us back in time. "You are 20 years old, trying to achieve balance in your professional and personal life... you are 15.... you are 10..."

I thought I nodded off a couple of times, and that I dreamt about the things that had been keeping me awake the past week - exchange choices, practicum choices and all. In the last "dream", I was in the driver's seat like I had been earlier that afternoon, when a car cut in front of me without warning. Adrenaline rushed through me and I jerked, both in the carseat as well as mentally. And poof, my mind was clear.

I told my auntie about it later that night, and she asked if he hypnotised us. I'm not sure now...

Speaking of dreams, I finally succumbed to replenish my deprived rest this afternoon. And guess what I dreamt of during my four-hour nap, if you can even call it a nap? That Lifehouse was having an announced 5-song set just beneath my block, right on the middle of the road. And I scrambled to dress and hurried down, only to share a lift with Jason Wade and his bemused drummer, who looks oddly like Yoji from Miami Ink. Haha!

No comments: