Sunday, August 05, 2007

Beyond cartoons.

Beyond cartoons.

Last semester, a lecturer talked about Disney's stereotypes of women, how they were sexualised, and how most of Disney's princesses were white-skinned. Those weren't her exact words of course, but the gist was about Disney's portrayal of how women were
supposed to be (i.e. subservient to males). I remember reading through that module's readings while cramming for the exams, and vaguely thinking how true it was.

Just recently however, I caught Pocahontas and Mulan on cable, and that had me rethinking my stand. A search on the Internet turned up plenty of articles which supported that lecturer's stand, and also some that challenged it.

I personally thought both Pocahontas and Mulan defied above-mentioned stereotypes. I can't remember much about Pocahontas as I saw it quite a while ago, but Mulan was about a woman joining the army as a man on her father's behalf, breaking the mould of women being second-class, and she was definitely not sexualised in any way in the cartoon.

Then of course there are people who feel that Disney is boycotting traditional values...

And I must mention my 6-year old cousin telling me she had to go on a diet so she could be as pretty as Gabriella in High School Musical.

So is Disney good or bad influence? I don't have a stand, and I think it'll require a hell lot of research and thinking to make one. And I'd rather watch Mulan 100 times over than willingly do that, heh. I was in fact so intrigued by the cartoon I googled to see if Mulan really existed. No confirmation there, but I did find Ode to Mulan. And I'll leave you with that.

Ode to Mulan



Ji-ji, again ji-ji,
Mulan faces the door, weaving.
You can't hear the sound of the loom's shuttle,
You only hear Daughter's sighs.



They ask Daughter who's in her thought,
They ask Daughter who's on her memory.
"No one is on Daughter's thought,
No one is on Daughter's memory.



Last night I saw the arny notices,
The Khan is calling for a great force.
The army register is in twelve scrolls,
and every scrolls has Father's name.




Father has no adult son,
Mulan has no older brother.
Wish to buy a saddle and horse,
and serve in Father's place."
駿
西

In the East Market she buys a steed,
In the West Market she buys a saddle and saddle blanket,
In the South Market she buys a bridle,
In the North Market she buys a long whip.

宿

At dawn she bids farewell to Father and Mother,
In the evening she camps on the bank of the Yellow River.
She doesn't hear the sound of Father and Mother calling for Daughter,
She only hears the Yellow River's flowing water cry jian-jian.



At dawn she bids farewell to the Yellow River,
In the evening she arrives at the summit of Black Mountain.
She doesn't hear the sound of Father and Mother calling for Daughter,
She only hears Mount Yan's nomad horses cry jiu-jiu.



She goes ten thousand miles in the war machine,
She crosses mountain passes as if flying.
Northern gusts carry sound of army rattles,
Cold light shines on iron armor.



Generals die in a hundred battles,
Strong warriors return after ten years.
On her return she sees the Son of Heaven,
The Son of Heaven sits in the ceremonial hall.





Merits are recorded in twelve ranks
And grants a hundred thousand strong.
The Khan asks her what she desires.
"Mulan has no use for a high official's post.
I wish to borrow a ten-thousand mile camel
To take me back home."




Father and Mother hear Daughter is coming
They go outside the city wall, supporting each other.
When Older Sister hears Younger Sister is coming
Facing the door, she puts on rouge, .


"
西
When Little Brother hears Older Sister is coming
He sharpens the knife, quick, quick, for pig and sheep.
"I open the door to my east room,
I sit on my bed in the west room,

."

I take off my wartime gown
And put on my old-time clothes."
Facing the window she fixes the cloudlike hair on her temples,
Facing a mirror she dabs on yellow flower powder



She goes out the door and sees her comrades.
Her comrades are all shocked.
Traveling together for twelve years
They didn't know Mulan was a girl.



?”
"The male rabbit's feet kick up and down,
The female rabbit's eyes are bewildered.
Two rabbits running close to the ground,
How can they tell if I am male or female?"

No comments: