Monday, August 06, 2007

The power in peace.

The power in peace.
feeling: sore


picture from http://www.flickr.com/photos/heavytrick/275016160/

I attended my first ashtanga yoga lesson today at Whatever Yoga Studio, and boy was it good. Thankfully Ceci and I weren't the only newbies in the 7-person class, but I think we're gonna start with Sunil's class on Wednesday to build up our foundation. I was floundering once the first set of downward facing dog and warrior poses were over, but it was still a blast. Finally, I've found a yoga match that doesn't put me to sleep.

My mind keeps going back to the last 15 minutes of the practice, where we were told to lay still on our mats. In the quiet of the darkened shophouse, my senses were awakened and particularly aware. A whiff of lavender. The occasional car driving by outside. The smell of pine from the floors.

My auntie was pretty glad when I told her I was joining Whatever for classes. "Maybe slowly you'll become a vegetarian," she said. Eh, Ceci and I headed for nasi padang after class (so not in line with the wholesome lifestyle I know), so it might take a while before I join my family hippies.

No comments: