Sunday, October 26, 2008

Your face it dances and it haunts me.

Your face it dances and it haunts me.



It was not as hard as we had feared, and I dare say it was more enjoyable than those shorter but heatstroke-inducing beach runs we subject ourselves to in the afternoons. Saw several familiar faces, and even bumped into May right at the finish line (instead of the middle as planned, haha).

The start was a bit of a pain with the massive crowds surging ahead, and we reached the 2km mark feeling like we had already covered 5km. Seeing the top Kenyan runner on her last 2km apparently made us imagine we had run more than we actually had.

Chugging along, we finally got into a comfortable pace. We even picked up a new friend Su along the way, who was looking for someone to pace her through her blisters, and the three of us pretty much ran the remaining 5km together.

The rhythmic pounding of the tarmac in a sunless sky was hypnotically therapeutic, and somewhere past the 8km mark, I almost found myself wishing that the run would last a while longer. The sun was mercifully absent, the air smelt of the sea, and the crowds had dispersed so I didn't have to worry about tripping over anybody's legs. It was a great run, and what mattered was that my running buddy and I raced towards the finish line and crossed it together. 1 hour 23 minutes and 10 kilometres of non-stop running, we did it babe. :)

Sadly, I think this would be our last race together, at least for the next few years. She's been accepted to her Tokyo post-grad programme (yay!), and would be uprooting herself next March. I'm not sure if I'll ever find a running/swimming/beach/anything buddy to fill her shoes. I may have to end up uprooting to Tokyo to maintain a semblance of a healthy lifestyle, haha!

On a separate note, yesterday's Flea.Fly.Flo.Fun flea market was not so much a money-making event, but more apt for people-watching. There seemed to be an unspoken dress code of high-waist tulip skirts, and we soon had trouble telling our patrons apart. Whatever profits I made have pretty much been blown on my own flea-market shopping and today's bookfair cookbook spree!

Need sleep, and maybe one heck of a foot reflexology session.

No comments: