Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dallying in Delhi.

Dallying in Delhi.

It's our fourth night in Delhi, and I'd say moving out of our scam of a hotel in Karol Bagh this morning into one that's half the price here in the backpackers' district is probably our wisest travel decision thus far.

Goodbye wonky toilet seats, inaccessible wi-fi and empty promises.

I'm wired up to the outside world while sitting at an Internet cafe here in Paharganj Main Bazaar, after a morning spent at the Bahai Temple (Lotus Temple) and an afternoon/evening of mad shopping at Khan Market (the Delhi equivalent of Singapore's Holland Village and Tanglin Mall combined) and Janpath (the equivalent of Bangkok's Pratunam bazaars).

The experiences I had haggling at Bangkok and Bali bazaars served me well - my star haggles today were slashing the prices of a pair of sunglasses and a skirt from 650 rupees each to150 rupees each.

Apart from that,I've had no life-altering travel experiences yet, though I had my fair share of getting groped, stomped on and scoffed at. The first was by a lecherous storekeeper, the second by an ill-mannered woman, and the third by a rude boutique assistant.

I've got plenty to reflect upon, but it'd have to wait till I'm back up on the roof-top cafe or when I've got some time alone in my room. Laters.

No comments: