Monday, January 26, 2009

Noisy dinners and crowded streets.

Noisy dinners and crowded streets.





It's been my most traditional Lunar New Year to date because... I went jostling with the crowds at Chinatown last night! The initial plan was to head down at late 10ish when the hawkers start slashing the prices and to usher in the new year at midnight, but my mom informed me that the new year actually starts at 11pm. I've always been told not to wash my hair on the first day of the new year as it signified washing away bad luck, but I've never practised it because it makes me feel unclean. However, since I've already gone all out with the new clothes and red undies this year, I figured that I'd might as well go all the way this year. That meant that I had to be home with my hair washed before 11pm.

So CH and I squeezed our way into the packed alleys at 9ish after our individual reunions dinners, and I had lots of fun soaking in the festive atmosphere. The air was cool, the crowds were happy, and the hawkers were going all out with their sales rhymes. “一块,一块, 通通都卖一块。 一块, 一块,连我也卖一块!” That last bit had the aunties giggling. I went a tad overboard with the mochi buying, and ended up lugging home two boxes plus a huge plastic bag of assorted flavors. A huge bowl of them will be the centerpiece tomorrow at our annual open house.

Earlier this evening after morning visitings and my afternoon nap, E and I headed down to Vivo to catch The Wedding Game. Apart from having to crane my neck from our second row seats, I also had to endure Erwin Nah's incessant groanings. Okay, the show had its cheesy bits but it honestly wasn't that bad! But I have to admit it wasn't that good either... haha.

The highlight of my day (or of my sister's entertainment) however would have to be the beyond mortifying act I did before I headed home. I honestly don't know why I did something so rude and... weird. Oh God, I am strange!

恭喜发财 everybody!

No comments: