Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tomorrow I will wake to the Bali sunshine.

Tomorrow I will wake to the Bali sunshine.
feeling: excited
music: india arie ft. musiq - chocolate high

The wait is finally over, and in four hours, I would be boarding the flight to Bali. This week-long trip would be my longest Bali trip so far, and contrary to misconceptions, this is only my third trip to the island, not my 30th!


I'm almost packed, and I've sent my hamsters off for a week with their new Godma, who is currently spoiling them silly with carrots.

More than a year ago, I read half of Fragrant Rice by Janet DeNeefe, an Australian who married a Balinese, and I've wanted to visit the Casa Luna Restaurant and the Honeymoon Guesthouse she runs with her husband ever since. (For those with whom I shared Bali - A Love Story, Ketut's character was semi-inspired by DeNeefe's husband.) You can visit the site at www.casalunabali.com but turn your speakers down because the gamelan music can be a tad jarring.

Early planning has secured us a stay at the Honeymoon Guesthouse, and I've booked Ceci and I for a Balinese cooking class tomorrow morning. I'm pretty psyched to try my hand at preparing Gado-Gado and Balinese satay. Perhaps the next new year's eve gathering I host would not involve tasteless pad thai and soggy green papaya salad? :)

A week frankly isn't enough to do many of the things I want to (do yoga, learn painting, visit the western part of the island, ride a horse along Kerobokan beach...), but I'm glad I'll be exploring more of the island than I'd done on previous trips. I don't think I've gotten a holistic perspective of Bali so I'm hoping to return with a better idea. Maybe then I would be able to explain my fascination with the island.

My dad gave me a bit of grief about my gypsy lifestyle when I told him about my Bali trip on Sunday. Granted, I have indeed been traveling a lot this year, and I probably shouldn't have waited until two days before the trip to inform him. We had a talk and he said that he would respect my way of life ("if you would rather scrimp on the everyday for this"), and that I was old enough to make my own decisions. Jinli says it's the empty nest syndrome. Still, he offered to accompany me to the airport today, so that cheered me up significantly.

On a different note, I met up with the babes last night for an early Christmas dinner at Blue Basil. We literally walked around in circles trying to locate the place, and the food didn't exactly make us feel like all that working was worth it. Heh heh.





The Christmasy mood has eluded me this whole holiday, and I almost forgot that it will be Christmas Eve tomorrow.



Merry Christmas in advance. :)

No comments: