Monday, December 08, 2008

The scampering duo.

The scampering duo.

I’ve never particularly liked children, and I’ve never bothered masking my annoyance at the sugar-fueled ones running amok in shopping malls. Little mushrooms – that’s what I call them. However, I’ve recently realized that I am not void of all maternal instincts.

I thought it through long and hard before adopting two hamsters from Miak. While the new responsibility means I can no longer pack up and go without a care, I feel that I finally have it in me to unselfishly care for something else. When I hugged the cage to my chest to prevent them from getting carsick (apparently they do), an unfamiliar urge to keep them safe welled up in my chest.

Even though my beautiful rainy morning was marred by a morning bite, I find it impossible to stay angry. Even though one of them acts like a delinquent with his snarling and protectiveness, I still find myself feeding him seed after seed, hoping to win him over.

Me. Patient. Who would have thought?

No comments: