Friday, June 06, 2008

Bonjour Paris.

Bonjour Paris.




It's my second morning in Paris, and I haven't decided if I like the city. We're staying in an apartment near the Poissonniere metro, and it is frankly a really pretty part of the city. Paris is living up to what little prior expectations I had of it, what with its cafe-lined streets, gorgeous architecture, cloudy skies and somewhat snobbish locals. And the sun sets at around 10pm Paris time. Now that wasn't something I was expecting.

The city is still relatively quiet as it isn't the peak of the summer tourist season yet, and the streets were pretty much barren at dinnertime. The cafes and restaurants were a little livelier though, and despite the slightly chilly air, several people were seated on the outdoor terraces, sipping their drinks and people-watching.

One thing I haven't quite gotten my head around however is the lack of Asian faces. Even though B tells me many of the people we've seen so far are foreigners, I still feel a little like a Chinese fish out of the waters of mostly white Caucasians. There's an Asian reserve me in that I can't quite break out of, and I am almost shy to utter French phrases for fear of butchering the language.

But reserve gets a person nowhere, so excuse me while I get dressed, etch the rusty French phrases in my mind, and hit the streets for some solo exploration.

No comments: