Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Almost nutters over Italy planning.

Almost nutters over Italy planning.

I have my own mini library of French and Italian phrasebooks, as well as outdated maps and guidebooks, courtesy of my sister who traipsed Europe in 1994. Information, even if it's outdated, is always good, but information overload is a headache.

Ken came over earlier to start our Italy planning proper, and I'm still here at my screen six and a half hours later, increasingly overwhelmed by choices. The flight and train tickets aren't as straightforward as we expected, and it is extremely tough facing the many accommodation choices available. It's not just about aesthetics, but also about answering an infinite number of questions like the distance between the train station to the Piazza del Duomo, and deciding if the accommodation we ultimately decide on is centralized enough.

We have lofty plans of covering Pisa, Florence and Rome in four and a half days, so we don't really have the leeway to be all spontaneous and just pack and go. Instead, each transfer has to be meticulously thought out, though I have to admit that pulling my hair out over it is kinda fun, in a torturous sadistic way. There's a bit of a Monica in me. I'll definitely be a bit more relaxed once these Italy plans are finalized though.

Thankfully, my Paris plans are pretty mellow. I initially thought I'd have many days to wander unfamiliar streets on my own while Berty's at work, but I've realised that I have a lot less chill time than I had expected. It's not a bad thing, for this time's in exchange for company (ZL has set me up with his girlfriend who's coming down on her own and Ken may be coming down a day earlier than planned). Company's always good, especially when it comes to doing the cheesy tourist activities!

And if I haven't already babbled your ears off about it - I AM GOING TO JACK JOHNSON'S CONCERT! He's performing in Paris on 9 July, and Berty 's got us the tickets. I'm really excited for Jack Johnson's one of my all-time favourite artistes, and I never thought I'd get to see him perform live. What are the odds of him coming to Singapore seriously? Well, I've just defied the odds by going to him, haha.

Who would have thought I'd be going to Europe? It wasn't on my list of must-go-now destinations last year, yet here I am, just 29 days away from hopping on to the S$2400 flight. Curveball moments as such often take us by surprise, and that's what makes life so colorful really.

But of course some curveball moments I wish I didn't have to deal with, but it is all part and parcel of accepting my responsibilities and fulfilling my duties. It ain't easy, and times like these I'm truly grateful for my freaky ability to compartmentalize my thoughts and emotions. Seeing how my yoga guru has left Singapore and how my friends have told me they missed being guinea pigs for my baking trials, I turned to the trusty oven this evening for some inner peace.



The orange yoghurt cake was kind of a flop as it tasted more like bread instead, but the chewy chocolate chip yoghurt cookies were a refreshing alternative to the conventional crispy ones. Yes, yoghurt is my new ingredient obsession.

Baking and receiving a call from an important friend have restored my sanity. And reading B's latest email has made me stifle a laugh in my quiet, quiet house. Good night world.

No comments: