Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Surprise revelation.

Surprise revelation.

More often than not, the person who gave you the most grief ends up being the person who teaches you an important lesson. When it comes to lecturers, Duffy definitely topped my list last semester.

I am not exactly subtle about my lack of appreciation of the irrelevance of the modules we take, but I really enjoyed his magazine publishing and travel writing classes. While I often griped about how he was a pain when it came to refining my ideas and writing, I suppose I did enjoy being stretched and challenged artistically by someone who's been there and done that. And surprisingly, I think I took away a lot more from his seemingly frivolous modules than I thought I would.

Bumping into him today for the first time this entire semester and sharing my writing plans drove home a point he always stressed back in class - writing for your reader. I won't go into details of kismet and what nots, but it's funny how that lesson subconsciously became the fundamental concept that guided and led me to my current job.

In fact, I think it is possibly the most important and life-impacting lesson I'm taking away from my four years in school. Man. How's that for a revelation?

No comments: