Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rethinking yoga.

In recent months, watching a good friend drag her determined behind out of bed for 7am hot yoga lessons got me thinking of my forgotten fervour with the practice. A fervour that, rather ironically, died out upon my return from India almost four years ago. I'd sought to reconnect with the practice by seeking out new instructors, but I couldn't quite find in them the connection I had with the slightly eccentric Sunil, nor could I find in the studios the oasis of calm I found in Whatever.

Oh how I miss that calm. That bubble of deep breathing and chanting bells that insulated me against the craziness that is the world. The closest I get to that these days is zoning out on quiet mornings to Rodney Yee's Yoga for Energy DVD. "Feel the pause of the earth. Be that pause... Simple inhalation, simple exhalation. No effort, no restriction. Surrender completely."

Need to try another studio...

No comments: