Thursday, December 15, 2011

India calling.


Four Decembers ago, I took off to Ahmedabad with trepidation in my veins, wondering if I'd possibly made the worst decision of my life. Even though I didn't quite become the vegan yogi I'd envisioned, I returned half a year later an entirely changed person. India was the best thing I'd done for myself.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally going back, to the country that amazed even as it baffled and frustrated me.

You

I stand suspended
in your center
In a limbo
I linger

The unobtrusive voyeur
in your kaleidoscope
Impassive glances
upon your hazy throes

I reach out seeking
beyond the mad
for your spirit
one single thread

My fingers slipped through
your smudged translucence
And I returned untouched
A virgin maiden.

I wrote that during my first month, when I was bubbling over with an intoxicating combination of insatiable curiosity, bright-eyed wonder and homesickness in Delhi.

My itinerary's all mapped out, but before the road tripping begins, I'll be spending the first couple of days on my own in an Ayurvedic retreat. I'm looking forward to the quiet and solitude. The lack of everything may just prove conducive for meditating on life's great questions.

And though I know exactly where I'm going and who I'll be meeting, I haven't got a clue what awaits me the minute I step out of the plane tomorrow night. There they are... the first stirrings of wonder and, dare I hope, magic?

No comments: