Sunday, June 26, 2011

17 hours


14:18 hrs
Somewhere between Penang and KL

It's a long journey home and for the past 7 hours, I've done little more than eat, read and nap. For 17 hours, my life is distilled into the simplest choices between feeding my body or my mind, or closing my eyes and letting the world, along with its cheery platform send-offs, pass me by.

For 17 hours, life exists and revolves around this tiny carriage with chattering old folks and petulant toddlers. I've found my place right here – 10D by the window – and I stay firmly in my seat, watching the changing scenery outside the train doors. I contemplate crawling over my sleeping companion to stretch my legs, but the hypnotic blur of passing shrubs and the soothing lull of a moving train keeps me rooted, at least for another minute.

The feeling of staying put yet simultaneously moving is an odd but comfortable contrast. It's a soothing balm for a restless spirit, and an unshackled grounding for a gypsy heart.

No comments: