Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Old town charms.

Old town charms.



Headed up to KL for a wedding over the weekend, but we weren't at all charmed by the tall buildings and glitzy malls of Malaysia's capital city. I'm sure KL has plenty of interesting nooks and crannies waiting to be discovered, but we had our sights (or stomachs) set on Malacca instead, where we stopped over for food both en route to KL and again on our way home.





It does not seem that Jonker Street has changed much since my last visit in 2005. While I'm no longer as susceptible to tourist trappings as I used to be, I still very much like the old town for its timeless appeal. After all the exorbitant Aussie trip planning, being able to get a bowl of Penang laksa at S$1.50 had me thinking, "I could spend a week here on a budget..." Fantasizing, really. I'm quite determined to visit down under this time around.

We lugged back dozens of festive goodies as well, some of which we'll pass on at tonight's shabu shabu. Tell me about it - my friends are crazy about Japanese hotpot. Or is it the wagyu?

No comments: