Thursday, November 26, 2009

You mean I'm not a hoarder?

You mean I'm not a hoarder?

I've always thought I am messy. There are times when I'll stare at my room in utter despair, especially when I feel like the clutter is blocking my feng shui or chi or whichever new-age mambo jumbo I'm into at the moment. And while the obvious solution is to clean it out, there always seems to be something better to do, like watch tv.

I happened to catch a clip about hoarders on the Oprah show and I am equal parts fascinated and relieved. It's scary how messy people can be. Imagine clothes littering every part of the floor, piles of toys, soiled plates and backyard junk lining the walls...

Thankfully, there is a difference between inertia+innate messiness and compulsive hoarding. The latter is a mental illness where there are actual psychological obstacles that prevent people from picking up their mess.

So I'm not a hoarder, but boy do I need to do some springcleaning pronto. Maybe on Sunday. :)

No comments: