Friday, April 27, 2007

Chow for the weary.

Chow for the weary.

The humdrum of life can get to you sometimes. Nothing faintly remarkable seems to happen; but in retrospect, it is probably because we are too bogged down by weariness to put ourselves out there, open and ready for magic.

I am a creature of habit, and I often have to remind myself to step outside my comfort zone and drink in more of what life has to offer. At times, I force myself to socialize, even when all I want to do is flop on the sofa with a good book. Other times, I walk a different path home and take pleasure in the unfamiliar sights. Today, as I scurried down the usual route to meet my ex-workmates for dinner, the setting sun drew me away from my hurry.

The air still held the echoing stillness of the after-rain, and the scent of drenched grass infused the slight evening breeze. The sun was languidly languishing its light, leaving a painting of glowing amber and wispy clouds in its wake. While the sunset was not an intense palette of breathtaking reds, the serenity of its muted light seemed to fill my soul. My footsteps seemed lighter, and a smile tugged at the corner of my lips. Against my logic's urging to hurry along, I slowed and watched the show.

You see, a huge part of living involves riding waves, and taking life by the reins. In the midst of getting out there and grasping opportunities, we sometimes forget that life is also about living for the moment, and that sometimes means slowing down and taking the time to smell the roses; or stealing a quiet moment to watch the sun set.

No comments: